Friday 11 September 2015

My English Language Learning Journey

I started learning English from a very young age with my interest in reading and watching american television shows such as Animal Precinct. Since you, I have a strong interest in reading books. This helped me to build my basic grammar and vocabulary skills. My favourite authors are Jacqueline Wilson, James Patterson and Anita Desai. Reading newspaper articles is also one of the main source from which new vocabulary words could be learnt. It is a leisure I enjoy especially when it comes to political issues. 

At the age at of 6, I attended Morris Allen English class once a week. I had to borrow three to four different genres of books for each lesson and do oral book reviews in the following lesson. This stimulated my interest in reading different genres of books and rapidly builds both my confidence and skills in oral English language.  


I started watching american television shows at the age of 10. While watching these shows, I observed the way they expressed themselves and picked it up slowly. I feel that watching television shows is great way of learning English. The pictures make it easier to understand as you can have a better idea of what people mean.


Also, considering the fact that my Polytechnic did not conduct English classes, reading is the only way to broaden my knowledge of the language.  Surprisingly, while texting with my friends, I will learn new phrases. Some of my friends are talented in language and they tend to have a higher usage of uncommon words. Naturally, to decipher the meaning of their sentence, I have to check up the word. As of now, I am reading eBooks and newspapers during my free time. 


Lastly, I think learning English should be fun instead of being forced unwillingly. 



Edited (16/09/15)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Joey, in this highly detailed reflection. Using a chronological approach you clearly present some of the high points in your learning journey, and some of the strides you have made since your interest in English developed. I’m glad to see that reading and watching TV became your passions early on. Certainly both of these are useful strategies for enhancing language skills. What confuse me at times in your essay is that you jump between a description of the past and the present (see my comments below).

    Another helpful thing would be to develop more awareness of the conventions of writing. This website will be useful for that: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/678/01/

    To help you improve further, please allow me to pinpoint a few sentences that need review:

    1) I have always been interested in books as a young child. >>> (verb tense)

    2) My favourite authors are Jacqueline Wilson… >>> now or in the past?

    3) I will need to borrow three to four different genres of books during each lesson and do oral book reviews on the following lesson. >>> (verb tense)

    4) This stimulates my interest in reading different genres of books… >>> past or present?

    5) I observed the way they express themselves and slowly pick it up. >>> (verb tense)

    6) Polytechnic do not have English classes… >>> (subject verb agreement)

    7) I think learning English should be fun! Not something you have to force yourself to do. >>>

    (sentence structure)

    Let's talk about these.

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey, thanks for sharing your journey. I think it is very good idea from your parents to prepare you early so that you can get to know English. I do watch American show also but I only start watching at much more lately than you. One of my favorite shows is Friends and I really like the way they talk in the show. I do also agree that watching American show can help improve our English and the way we speak.
    My Polytechnic does provide us an English module where the students revisited English. The students get to relearn grammar, sentence structure and many more. It was a good experience as many students get to know where their problem and to correct their problem.
    Let’s enjoy this short English journey together and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joey, it seems that you really enjoy reading. You even have favorite authors! Great to have you on the team, I'm sure we can learn a lot from you. I do watch american TV shows perhaps you can recommend some good ones.
    Looking forward working with you and learn together along the way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joey, i agree with you that watching television is another form of learning English. It clearly shows how people express their feeling through words and the tone used. Let's Learn, Unlearn and Relearn English language.

    ReplyDelete