Wednesday 2 December 2015

Someone who has influenced you.

‘Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter’-Brad Henry. 

Growing up in my family has influenced my life. My parents had an important influence in the kind of person I am now, respectful, with moral values, independent and determined in my goals. All of these are some of the principles they have implanted on me as I grew up.

For instance, I didn’t do really well for my Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE). I barely made it to express stream. I was extremely disappointed with myself as it was not up to my expectations. However my parents didn’t feel disappointed or upset about my aggregate. In fact, they were happy for me as I have completed my first phase of my education life. They asked me to compare myself with those who failed their PSLE or can’t make it to express stream and those less fortunate children in undeveloped countries such as Cambodia or India who didn’t have an opportunity to go to school. I didn’t hit my expectations but at least I had the chance to go to school and able to enter express stream. My parents constantly remind me to be contented in whatever I have but still aim for higher achievements. Most importantly, always try our best in everything that we do. 

With my PSLE aggregate, I went to a neighbourhood school. I was in the last express class and I felt depressed about it. My sister motivated me to prove it to others that PSLE aggregate don't determine my education path. I worked really hard and ignored the negative comments from my peers. With hard work and determination, I was the top four scorers in my secondary one and two cohort. During the December holiday, both Singapore Sports School (Badminton Team) and Nan Hua High School offered a place for me because of my badminton skills and academic results. I rejected their offer as I wasn't sure of doing well in a new environment. Moreover, in an elite school. They, my parents, want me to enjoy my education life. And finally, I managed to climb up to the first express class in secondary 3 and 4. My family was very happy for me but they told me not to be complacent about it.

After I graduated from my secondary school, I went to take diploma course in civil engineering with business offered by Singapore Polytechnic as my dream is to become a civil engineer to transform the city’s infrastructure. I encountered obstacles along the way, as I dislike business modules and this caused me to struggle with my business modules in year 2. I didn’t bother to put in effort to attempt the tutorial questions. Until I received my first quiz results 38/100, I was shocked as I knew that it would affect my overall GPA.  My parents encouraged me to change my perspective of the module. They advised me to change my perspectives of all the business modules. Don’t dislike it and treat it like a bonus in my goal of becoming a civil engineer as I might need the knowledge of accounting for construction project management. With perseverance and determination, I cleared my business modules with an average grade of B+. 



In SIT, I wanted to drop out from the course as I know the degree won't bring me far. I can't be a civil engineer upon graduation. I can only be a mechanical or electrical engineer. I have been forcing myself to study for the tests and quizzes. I have stopped smiling ever since the second week of school. I was very unhappy with school but I kept telling myself to think positively. I went to look for Professor Simon Yu about my issue and he told me to press on because the beginning is always the hardest part in University.

My dad's message: Think of the reason you started with and finish what you have started. You might not enjoy the climb now because it's not the landscape you want to see. Although the process is tiring, as you climb higher, you will begin to see a beautiful sight that you could have never imagined.

My mum's message: Think back of your orientation camp, first day of school and the days where you stayed up late with your classmates to study for tests and quizzes. Everyone is struggling and they find it torturing too. 

I shouldn't just drop out from this course just because it's not fulfilling my dream. Life doesn't always give you what you want. 'When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.'-Alexander Graham Bell. My parents ask me to look at the bigger picture of my path towards achieving my goal. I have a diploma in civil engineering. And now I'm pursuing a mechanical or electrical engineering degree. There is nothing to lose. 



Family:

An anchor during rough waters.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Joey! I envy the support that your parents are giving you. It is true that life doesn't always give you what you want. I feel that you should pursue your dream if you already have one in mind. Although I have said that, I am not encouraging you to drop out of the course. In fact, I am glad you have decided to press on and stay in this course. This course is tough but I am sure we can all graduate together! Do not hesitate to approach me or any other classmates and friends should you face any difficult in school or if you need someone to talk to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey, now that you have decided to stay with us in this course, you should give your best effort and not think about leaving for a possibly better course anymore. I believe that whichever path you choose as long as you always have a destination in mind, you will get there someday. Life is unpredictable so remember keep a look out for opportunities that can help you get closer to your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. During tough times, there will be uncertainty. The road to success is never easy, but just believe in yourself and the decisions you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joey, your parents are definitely supporting you all the way in your decisions and that is a really good thing to hear. Not everyone gets really clear constructive feedback from our parents sometimes and they could have brushed it off with a comment saying " this is university" or " if its not tough, how do you learn". Being a middle child myself, my parents do not focus that much of attention on me maybe because I am one of the most independent kid amongst my other 2 siblings. So, count your blessings girl! Im sure you'd go far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi joey, glad to hear that you decided not drop out from the course.Since you have already decide to continue on this course so lets work hard and finish it together. Since your parents are so supportive of you, work hard and do your best and not disappoint them.

    Good things come to those who work their assess off and never give up - Zero Dean

    4 December 2015 at 00:21

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi joey, we shouldn't be affected by how people judge us. My family too, have a strong influence in the decisions I make. Regardless of the choice you made, you have my support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joey!
    I'm rather touched by your parent's words. It is true that life doesn't always give us what we want. However, thinking on the bright side, having a diploma in civil engineering and now having a degree in mechanics or electronics could be a bonus or add ons. I've always believe that once you've made a choice, don't regret it, but do your best to complete it. You wouldn't know if this path might bring you to a better place in life in future therefore since you've chosen it, take up the responsibility and complete it. I'm glad that you've chosen to stay, keep in mind that you're not alone. Honestly, ever since entering this course, it has been really rocky for me as well but I just kept on telling myself to press on because I have chosen it. I believe we are able to overcome this! Lets work hard together my friend! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this very open sharing, Joey. I can see that you are a very reflective, sensitive person. You are justified in wondering about your future, but I would suggest, like your parents have done already, that you have come so far along your educational journey that it is not right for you to focus on the negative. You should be grateful of what you have already accomplished and patient for that which will come.

    Clearly you have a great support group, starting with your mom and dad. And look at how many people chimed in on this post! In addition, as Kathleen states, "keep in mind that you're not alone."

    It's been my great pleasure to work with you and so many other hard working students this term. I have no doubt that you will make it to the top of the mountain, Joey. Just take it one step at time.

    Soon the break will give you a chance to pause and reflect further. Take that opportunity to sit back and enjoy how much you have already accomplished. I have no doubt that what you will see from that new vantage point will be very impressive!

    ReplyDelete