Wednesday 2 December 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

Communication is a tool by which people use it to share information, knowledge, feelings, and meaning verbally and non-verbally. It is not just about what is actually being delivered, it is about the language and the choice of words being used. In addition, it is about how the message is being delivered non-verbally such as the tone of voice, facial expressions, gestures and body language. Message that is being delivered non-verbally can convey extra information. In particular, it shows more sentimental attitudes which may inhibit the content of the message

Feedback is an essential aspect in the process of enhancing my writing and presentation skills. It plays an important role in motivating me to do better for my next assignment. I am now more aware of my common mistakes and the needs for improvement after receiving feedback from my tutor and peers. Their feedback, in both oral and written form, foments the improvement of my writing and presentation skills.

Receiving feedback from my tutor and peers has benefited my writing and presentation skills. The feedback helps to spot my mistakes in writing, how I can improve in my writing and their perspectives of my blog post. Working with my peers from different diploma background give me a chance to complement myself with them. 

An important part about feedback in this module comes from the many drafts of the my reader response. Majority of the comments for each reader response draft were constructive feedback, and brought to my attention areas and pointers that could be improved in the upcoming draft. 

For example, I had received very detailed and concise feedback from my tutor regarding my reader response, presentation skills and proposal. I had also received comments on my blog post about my thesis statement not being strong enough and there isn't a flow in my reader response. With this feedback in mind, I knew how and where I had to amend for my next draft. Amongst the comments were compliments that gave me motivation to produce a better draft. When I do a comparison with my first reader response draft and the final draft, I could see a huge difference. There is a flow in my essay and it is more organized. I may not have shown tremendous improvement but my final reader response is definitely better than my first draft for reader response. 



5 comments:

  1. Hi Joey Neo, thank you for sharing with us your English learning journey on the importance of verbal and non verbal messages. I like your first paragraph for all of its actual fact yet deep insights. I can feel this module has really help you improve in your English written and presentation skills. Wish you best of luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Joey, for your fine effort with this reflection. I like the way your essay moves from a general discussion of the value of communication to a more focused one of feedback. You then zoom in on the feedback you've received and how you feel that has impacted your skills development. I'm happy that you have found value in the feedback.

    I really appreciate all the effort you have made this term. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joey, thanks for sharing your learning journey, it brings us to the first post you made on this blog. You evaluated on the importance of communication and connected the flow to the influence it had on you. This made it easy to related to your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi joey, I like the way how you share with us your English learning journey on the importance of feedback. Personally I feel that this feedback component in the module really help me a lot and shape me into a better writer. I can see my own improvement on each draft of the reader response too. Good luck in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi joey, I believed that the feedback given by our peers and tutor can help us improve our command of English language. We can identify common mistakes like dangling modifier and sentence structure and prevent making silly mistakes.

    ReplyDelete